Sunday, September 4, 2011

Altered Shadow Boxes

This set of three boxes represents a rescue attempt on my part and I must say I think I can out better than I'd planned. What I had was a very generic set of three black shadow boxes and I liked them fine until one fell off the wall and the corner broke off.  I repaired the corner with wood glue and clamped it back on but it was a very noticeable repair, so they sat in the garage for months while I decided what to do.  Finally I got around to pulling out some patterned card stock and framing out the front of the boxes.  I layered some dye-cuts in a few places then sealed the whole shebang with a walnut stain to give it an aged appearance.  After the stain dried I loaded up a few more coats of medium, building thicker in some places and thinner in others, for a more dynamic appearance, but I don't think that comes through in the photos at all.  I hung them just in time to load them up with some Halloween tchotkes, but these will be a year round display. 






No comments:

Post a Comment